USLHS Triangular Post Lighthouse Service Lantern

 

Description

WOW - Ca. 1895 United States LIGHTHOUSE SERVICE Lantern with Ca 1920 Brass US Coast Guard marked Burner. Extremely scarce, original United States Lighthouse Service navigational lantern. This early and rare lantern was used as a river or harbor navigational light, and sometimes could be used without the lens as an area light at stations, on the boat house or inside and outside of the warehouses at depots. This scarce piece is constructed of heavy tin for the US Lighthouse Service. The front top is embossed: “ U. S. L. H. S.”. The lantern is tri-cornered with the three sides of the lantern housing glass panels. The glass is present and intact, in sliding brackets allow them to be replaced for cleaning and care. Two of the three panels are hinged and latch with double hasps. A vertical chamber runs from the top ventilator down the back to feed heated air up into the lamp burner. Lantern measures approximately 16” x 16” x 16”. Overall height 28” to top of handle. Lantern is complete including ventilating cap and swing handle on top. Unit was painted SILVER but as was the custom. The original brass oil lamp and glass fresnel lens is present. Lamp is brass and is also embossed with the letters “U.S.C. G.” Base oil reservoir measures 6 ¾” in diameter by 5” high and has two passages running from the base to the font to provide air to the base of the flame. The lamps sits in a base within the lantern, allowing the external combustion air to rise within to the wicks. The lamp does not have the wick, font and chimney but is otherwise complete. A wonderful rare example of this style of early Lighthouse Service lighting apparatus and extremely rare. Quite good condition.

 

Price

$995

 

Purchase Information

Call or email Steve Gronow to get your questions answered and find out how to finalize your order.

Phone:810-599-5147Email:Get email address

 

Pictures